Saturday, July 23, 2005

The Result Of A Very Boring ACC Lesson.

From the day I was born I had this hair,
Ginger red and frizzy beyond repair.
My mom's hair was black, my dad's brown,
'Why is mine red?' I thought with a frown.

I asked my daddy, who patted my head,
Told me that it was time for bed.
His smile was sad and his face grim,
I wondered what had happened to him.

Mommy came to me and stroked my curls
My locks around her finger she twirls.
"Maybe you got them from your granddad,
Oh what a thick carrot top he had!"

Content with that I hugged my bear,
Climbed onto bed without a care.
Wrapped around in a blanket of pink,
I fell asleep without time to think.

However I awakened in the dead of the night
From a bad dream I trembled in fright.
Walking down to my parents' room,
I tried to erase thoughts of my doom.

But in my stomach came this sensation,
When I overheard their conversation.
My muddled mind demanded explanations,
And I began to question my creation...

-----

"She's adopted," my dad said.
"Why then did you talk about Father's head?
It couldn't have been his genes
Even though he had the reddest hair ever seen."

With bated breath I hoped it untrue,
Watched my Mommy if she agreed too.
But on her next words my cheeks grew hot,
She tenderly said to him, "I forgot."

"It doesn't matter if we're only connected by name,
In these years with us our daughter she became.
Even though her hair is red and mine black,
We are identical in heart, no doubt about that."

My Daddy's eyes filled with touched tears,
When he thought of all those happy years.
And then I opened the door and looked above,
My tears were falling but they were tears of love.

-end-

Copyright Cheng Nien Yuan. My friends said it wasn't very good anyway.

No comments: